Does Your Family Member Need A Guardianship?

Many people retire in Florida, and sometimes become unable to handle their own financial and business affairs before having an estate management plan in place. If your family member is no longer able to care for themselves or their financial matters, it may be time to seek a guardianship from the court. A court-appointed guardian will have the authority to protect the legal rights of the incapacitated person (“ward”), and help them manage their property and maintain their health and well-being.

While it is true that anyone can seek guardianship from the court without the help of a lawyer, it is a complex process. Once a petition for guardianship of an incapacitated person is filed, the court appoints a committee to verify that the alleged incapacitated person is truly unable to care for themselves and their affairs. The committee comprises physicians and other experts who report to the court.

At Klein & Fortune, PA, we understand how difficult it is to see your loved ones no longer able to care for themselves. We will work diligently with you to alleviate your worry. Our attorneys have over 70 years of combined experience helping families establish all types of guardianships for their loved ones who are incapacitated. Email or call our firm in Hollywood at 954-228-4285 for a free consultation.

Providing Skillful Representation For Guardianships Of Minors

An individual under the age of 18 may require a guardianship for several reasons, including losing both parents in a sudden accident, both parents are no longer able to care for themselves or they receive a lump-sum payment over $15,000.

When a minor receives a lump-sum payment over $15,000, Florida law requires a court-appointed guardian to oversee and protect the minor’s best interest in managing the money. The payment may be a result of receiving:

  • An inheritance
  • Proceeds of a lawsuit
  • Settlement of personal injury negotiation
  • Payment from an insurance policy

Get A Free Consultation With Our Compassionate Attorneys

At Klein & Fortune, PA, our attorneys care about your family’s well-being. When you have anxiety whether your aging or vulnerable loved ones will be able to fend for themselves in the near future, call our firm to discuss legal options your family may pursue. We have the knowledge you need for peace of mind. Call our office at 954-228-4285 to make an appointment today. You may also reach our firm by completing our online form.